more sustainable solutions
At DowDuPont, sustainability is more than an environmental stance; it's a business model. Our mission is to lead the industry through science and technology that provide long term viable and sustainable microbial control solutions.
SILVADUR™ is effective because
- Silver ions (Ag+) are a natural and trusted antimicrobial agent used for more than 2,000 years
- The product provides reliable and durable antimicrobial protection against bacteria prevalent on textile surfaces
- It is retained longer on fabric substrates, providing a longer garment life
- The antimicrobial technology requires less silver to deliver high performance on a variety of fabric surfaces
SILVADUR™ goes away because
- It uses silver ions (Ag+) rather than silver particles
- The product relies on bound silver so no free silver is released into the environment
- Polymers adhere inherently to fiber surfaces, providing long lasting antimicrobial protection on fabrics
- It is recyclable and reusable during processing applications due to its inherent UV stability and water solubility
SILVADUR™ does no harm because
- It is formulated to provide a low concentration of free silver ions and creates no build-up of free silver, preventing discoloration and facilitating long lasting antimicrobial performance
- Articles treated with SILVADUR™ antimicrobial are non-toxic, non-sensitizing, and non-irritating to human skin
- The enhanced freshness that SILVADUR™ long lasting antimicrobial provides means fewer washings are required, which benefits consumer and the environment alike
The proprietary SILVADUR™ antimicrobial technology releases silver ions only when they are needed, ensuring that more active material remains bound to the textile surface for long term antimicrobial protection. As a result, both garment turnover and the amount of silver released into the environment are reduced.
SILVADUR™ has no repercussion on human health because
SILVADUR™ antimicrobial has been assessed as harmless to human health and added to the list of active chemical products approved by the International Oeko-Tex® Association. It is registered with the U.S. EPA and its active ingredient is notified and supported under the EU Biocidal Products Registry (BPR). In addition, SILVADUR™ antimicrobial technology is registered to meet REACH requirements in the European Union.